Algarve Car Hire
Terms & Conditions
Drive rental rates includes
- Unlimited mileage. (*) see mileage exceptions
- Mandatory insurances.
damage waiver liability.
bonds (where needed).
- Local taxes.
is not included?
accident insurance (PAI).
exclusions - see the relevant insurance sections.
"Return as Found" is our fuel policy for bookings made through
out our Proprietary booking engine for the Algarve. Fuel policies
vary for other locations. Please check when you pick up your car.
- Garaging, tolls, congestion charges, parking and traffic fines.
- Lost keys, glasses, windscreen and tyres if not damaged by a reported
- Drivers charges where applicable.
- Delivery and collection of your car out of the airport can be arranged during
normal working hours. There may be a charge for this.
- Out of hours charges.
- Optional extras.
- One-way rental charges where applicable.
airport pick-ups, it is essential that You Drive be given the
correct flight number and arrival time, before departure. This
can be done either online or by phone.
this is not available at the time of booking, please ensure that
you inform us of this at least 7 days prior to departure, either
online or by phone. No responsibility can be accepted or compensation
allowed for a failed rental due to the late provision of this information.
- To rent cars in Portugal, the minimum driver's age is 23. Drivers with less than 25 years old are subject to a special drivers insurance name as Young Drivers License automatically shown in the booking form.
- Your driver's license must be valid in Portugal and held for more than 2 years
- For bookings made for Algarve using our proprietary booking procedure,
the fuel policy is "RETURN AS FOUND".
Faro Airport Tax
- For bookings made for Algarve, for pick ups / drop offs at Faro airport, using our proprietary booking procedure, there will be a 15 Euros airport tax charged by ANA aeroportos. This tax permits the pick up / drop off of the rental car directly from the airport carpark avoiding the need of a shuttle.
Cancellation administration charge
- You Drive levy a charge for cancellation
of any pre payed booking you are unable to honour prior to your collection
date (see below).
refunds will be given for rentals ended early, late collections,
no shows or cancellations made after the rental start date.
cancellations must be made in writing, please e-mail us at email@example.com
- Cancelations must be received by us before
the rental start date otherwise no refund of any
pre-payment will be made.
or more days before start date
days before start date
days before start date
duration of your rental starts and finishes according to the pick-up
and drop-off dates and times detailed on your voucher, the price
of which will be confirmed at time of booking and is calculated
on the basis of 24-hour units. If you wish to extend the
rental period after collection of the car, or if you return the
car later than stated on your voucher, you will be charged locally
at the local daily rate, which may be higher than our online rates.
refunds are payable on cars returned early.
rental day is equal 24 hours - Each fraction of a day is
considered as an aditional day.
quoted on this web page are 25% cheaper than desk rates.
for 3 days are 50 % of the weekly rates.
Rates more than 3 and less than 7 days are based on the 6 day pro-rate.
Rates less than 3 days are based on the 4 day pro-rate.
Rates more than 7 days are based on the 7 day pro-rate.
Rentals for less than 3 days with delivery and/or collection out of the airport are subjected to a short term rental fee that should be selected in the booking extras.
seats: these are mandatory in Portugal and must be
requested at the time of booking.
If requested and confirmed at least 7 days prior to departure
these will be guaranteed.
Roof racks are available
just for some kind of cars (group A, B, C, D) and should
be specially requested at the time of booking. There is
a charge for them as shown in our price list page.
Early requests are recommended to guarantee availability.
GPS (Satelite Navigation System) is available
and should be specially requested at the time of booking. There
is a charge for it as shown in the price list.
Early requests are recommended to guarantee availability.
to a booking may be subject to a €5 amendment fee depending on
the bureaucratic work involved.
and collection/one-way rentals
- For a small extra charge we can guarantee the delivery of
the car you book.
Bookings cannot be made with less than 72 hours and must be prepayed. Some restrictions
may apply for special cars during high requested seasons.
and collection is normally at the airport. The car can be
delivered and/or collected to your accommodation. A charge
collection may apply
- If you would like your car to be delivered, full address
and delivery time must be given at the time of booking.
- Deliveries and collections are available during normal working
hours. If you request a delivery/collection outside the normal
working hours a "out of hours" fee may apply.
- One way rentals are subjected to a surcharge as show in our
Out of hours charges
- Sometimes flights will be met and cars supplied outside
of normal working hours. Deliveries at the airport between
21:00h and 08:30h will be surcharged an extra out of hours
fee of 20 Euros.
must produce a full driving licence held for at least one
Drivers with a new style licence must have all sections with
- For some car types, drivers must have held
a full licence for a minimum of 2 years.
is the driver’s responsibility to ensure that he/she has the
appropriate driving licence.
- We must be informed of any endorsements on the driver’s
licence, as we may not be able to take your booking.
refunds will be given for rentals rejected due to non-production
of a driving licence or non-disclosed endorsements.
- For faxed
or photocopied licences please ask first for acceptance.
rental voucher sent by us by email must be presented when
picking up your rental car. You Drive cannot be held responsible
a voucher is not presented.
should retain your rental documents and related receipts for a minimum
of 28 days after returning home.
may apply for additional drivers as shown in our price list
page. Additional drivers must be requested at booking time.
- Additional driver not requested at booking time can be requested
at collection time and are payable locally on pick-up.
All possible drivers must be included in the contract at collection
time. A copy of the drivers license of any additional drivers
not present at collection time must be presented by the first
driver to be included in the contract.
- Each contract can have a maximum of 4 drivers. 1 main plus 3 extra
- The main driver is the holder of the credit card.
- The card must be in the name of the main driver, according to the passport. And not on behalf of a company in which case it is not accepted for the security deposit.
- The main driver must be present during the whole time of the rental. In case of damage the main driver is always responsible
- All customers will be required to leave a deposit to cover the collision damage waiver excess, theft waiver excess (where applicable) and fuel . To do so, a valid credit card in the name of the
lead driver, must be produced upon collection of the car, as a form of deposit.
- Cash deposits are usually not accepted.
- If the client doesn't use a credit card, the security deposit can be accepted with a debit card but in this case the client must buy the SuperCDW + SPI.
Provision of cars
rep can refuse to provide a car to any customer
who is, in his opinion, unfit to drive or does not meet
eligibility requirements or refuses to produce a credit card
as a security deposit. In such circumstances your contract
with us will terminate
immediately, and we will have no further liability to you,
and no refund will be due.
Number of passengers
rental cars are insured for a maximum number of passengers.
You Drive cannot accept responsibility if the vehicle is not
large enough to fit all passengers and luggage on arrival if
supplied at the time of booking. In the interest of safety
this number must not be exceeded and if exceeded the insurance
- Our insurance is valid to drive in Portugal. Restrictions
are applicable when crossing country and state borders. Cross
border charges, as shown in our price list page, may apply
if you want to drive out of Portugal. Cross border Insurance
should be requested at booking time but can be asked at collection
time and payable locally.
The optional cross border insurance for Spain only provide road side assistance up to 250 km. from the Portuguese border town of Vila Real de Santo Antonio. Beyond 250 km it is the renters responsibility to arrange repair or return of the rental car.
Collision Damage and Theft Waiver Exclusions and Damage Excess Waiver Product
- We waive, in most
circumstances your liability to pay for any damage caused
to the vehicle during the period of hire, subject only to the
payment by you of a charge, referred to as an "excess" as
shown below depending on the car group. Your liability for the
damage will be limited to the cost of the excess. We call this
Damage Waiver" or "CDW". CDW is subject to
certain exclusions which include, without limit, when damage
is caused to windows/windscreens, wheels and tyres, the underside
or roof of the car or where the vehicle is driven off-road or
on un-tarmacked roads, without due care and attention, negligently
or where the driver is under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
Your liability to pay for the damage will therefore not be waived
in these circumstances and you may be liable for the
- If you would like us to waive your liability to pay the excess
referred to above, then you can purchase our Super Collision
Damage Waiver product (SCDW). However, please be aware that
even with this product you will still have to compensate the
partner for damage which falls within one of the exclusions
- Theft Waiver (also known as Theft Protection) provides coverage
for theft or attempted theft, of the vehicle up to the full
value of the vehicle and any loss that we may incur. You are
responsible for the excess of each claim, which you will be
required to pay as part of the overall excess deposit (unless
you are advised that this is not applicable at the time of
booking). Your loss will be limited provided the vehicle is
used and its keys returned in accordance with the terms and
conditions of the rental agreement.
Collision Damage Waiver
Want to know more about Collision
all bookings you will be required to leave a deposit
to the value of any CDW excess you may be required to pay if
is damaged during the period of hire (see the paragraphs
dealing with CDW above). If the vehicle is damaged, the deposit
be retained and treated as payment of the excess. If,
however, you have purchased our SCDW product, your liability
to pay the
excess will be waived and you may reclaim it, provided
that you bring a police accident report. Your liability to
pay for damage to the
vehicle will therefore be limited to the cost of the
daily rate you pay for SCDW.
- Please note than a police report is absolutely necessary
for you to reclaim your liability to pay the damage caused
by accident or theft.
- SCDW (and CDW) do not apply in relation to damage to windows/windscreens,
wheels and tyres, the underside and the roof, the interior
of the car, towing charges or where the vehicle is driven off-road
or on un-tarmacked roads, without due care and attention, negligently
or where the driver is under the influence of alcohol or other
drugs. Your liability to pay the cost of the damage will therefore
not be waived in these circumstances and you may be liable
for the full cost.
- In the event that keys are lost or damaged, you will be liable for the reasonable costs of obtaining a replacement, and further costs if directly related to the theft of the car.
- SCDW does not apply when taking four-wheel drive vehicles "off
road" or on un-tarmacked roads. Your liability to pay the CDW
excess will therefore not be waived in these circumstances
and you may be liable for the full excess.
- PERSA (Premium Emergency Roadside Service Algarve): 3 EUR
PERSA ensures coverage for the following situations: Keys
inside the vehicle; Loss of key; Lack of battery caused by
the lights being left on, door open; towing in case of lack
of fuel or wrong type of fuel; (for more information please
ask upon arrival). Coverage of PERSA : Maximum coverage of
150 EUR for each or all of the above services and limit of
250 EUR in the case of loss of the key.
Excess and Excess Waiver
- For groups A, B, C, D -> Excess 950,00 € / Waiver
- For groups E, F, F1, G, G1, G2-> Excess 1500,00 € /
Waiver 10,00 € per day
- For groups H, H1, I, I1 -> Excess 2500,00 € / Waiver
15,00 € per day
- For groups J, J1, L, K, O -> Excess 2500,00 € / Waiver
15,00 € per day
taxes are included except those on any extras purchased locally.
e.g. one-way drop-off fees, child seats, additional drivers,
- You Drive reserves the right to levy any government increases
in local taxes that may be introduced after the printing of
additional charges payable on arrival are subject to local
taxes at the prevailing rate in Portugal (VAT 23%).
- Payments on collection are subjected to a mobile credit card
processing fee of 7% when made by credit card.
- You Drive are unable to guarantee
the delivery of a particular make or model withing the group
you choose. The cars shown on your fleet lsit are for guidance
only as an example
cars within this group and
may be substituted for an alternative, similar or upgraded
(at no extra cost).
you have booked a prestige car, the specific car booked is guaranteed.
it becomes impossible to provide your booked car due to breakdown
or an accident, a similar or upgraded car will be provided.
you are dissatisfied in any way with the standard of your
booked car, you must advise us immediately so we may be able
to satisfy your claim.
the event of any mechanical difficulties or accidents involving
your car, it is important that details are reported to us
the event of an accident you must also complete an accident report
form by the end of the rental period.
police should also be notified in the case of accidents and a signed
police report obtained.
details of third parties should also be obtained.
- You are not given authority to repair
should retain copies of all rental documentation in the event an
insurance company is involved.
- Your insurance
cover may be invalidated if this procedure is not followed correctly
and this may prejudice any claim for compensation.
check-in form must be signed on return of the vehicle. Failure to
do so may delay the investigation of disputes regarding damage excess
- The unlimited km policy applies to tourism contracts, which means, according to a policy of good use, approximately 100 km per day.
In the case of hiring for use for business trips, the kilometers traveled beyond 100 km per day are taxed at 35 cents / km + VAT.
- You Drive aims to resolve complaints
within 28 days of receipt. Some complaints may take longer
than 28 days owing
to the nature of the issue and information provided. You Drive
can only consider complaints that reach us within 15 days
of the final day of rental to which the rental voucher refers.
against You Drive are restricted to the laws that occur
within the jurisdiction of the Portuguese courts.
- Bookings must be made at least with 24 hours in advance. Bookings with less than 12 hours in advance are subjected to a last minute fee.
bookings by our customers are subject to our terms and conditions.
- The customer
acknowledges that in making a booking with You Drive he/she
does so only on the basis of the material contained in our
brochure, voucher, on our website or information provided
on the phone by
note that the rental of the vehicle will be subject to the
law of Portugal and for this
will be required to sign a rental contract with us as imposed
by law. You should satisfy yourself that you
understand (and agree) to its terms and conditions, as you
will be subject to, and must comply with these terms, and the
- You Drive will not be held responsible for anyone
driving under the influence of alcohol/drugs, causing wilful
or driving without due care and attention. The customer will
accept responsibility in respect of such claims. This list
is not exclusive.
- Cars and all
offersincluded in our web site or brochure are subject
- You Drive shall not be liable itself
or vicariously through its rep's for either
a failure to perform
performing any of its obligations under or pursuant to this
booking, voucher, reservation, rental or terms and conditions,
if and in
so far as performance is delayed, hindered or prevented by
force majeure, which expression shall mean any event beyond
control of the party in question. In the event that the force
majeure persists for more than 14 consecutive days, You
Drive may terminate and withdraw
this booking, reservation or rental by giving
14 days notice to the clients original billing address.
Algarve Car Hire | Portugal Car Hire
we care about your holidays!